Saturday, February 27, 2010

Do you know Him?

"Christianity means nothing to them unless it means everything to us."

The name of the pastor who is the author of this statement escapes me, but when it was quoted during the sermon at church tonight, it really stuck with me. It got me thinking about how strongly I live out my faith each day, and how big a part it plays in my daily life. How often do I express the importance of Christ in my life to those around me? Sometimes, I fear, not often enough.

According to statistics, 70% of Americans call themselves Christians, but only 40% can be found in church on any given Sunday. Of that 40% of regular church attenders, I wonder what percentage actually has an intimate relationship with Jesus Christ? Ask any person on the street who they believe Jesus was, and chances are, they would tell you that they've heard of Jesus. Most might even believe that he existed, and others might tell you that he was a good man or a prophet. But how many would answer that He was their Lord, Savior, and Friend, a crucial presence in their daily existence?

It is possible to know Jesus without really knowing Him. Matthew 7:21-23 says "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord' will enter the kingdom of Heaven, but only he who does the will of my father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, evildoers!" Knowing Jesus and having a relationship with Him requires much more than believing He existed, and it even requires more than doing good deeds in His name. We are called to "be ready to give an answer for the hope that we have." Having a personal, intimate relationship with Jesus requires an intimate knowledge of who He is, and the ability to reinforce those beliefs with scripture. If it is not evident in our daily interactions with others that we know Jesus on a deep, personal level, we can have no hope of being a light to those who do not.

I don't claim to have it all figured out. I have to work at my faith every day, sometimes harder than should be necessary after six years of calling myself a Christian. I've made mistakes, learned from them, and been changed along the way. I'm nowhere near perfect, and I never will be. But thankfully, I serve a God who is.

My Jesus is my savior.

My Jesus is my deliverer.

My Jesus is my friend.

My Jesus is my rock.

My Jesus is beautiful.

My Jesus is the healer of the afflicted.

My Jesus is eternal.

My Jesus is the Lord of my life.

My Jesus is the King of Kings.

My Jesus is the Son of God.

My Jesus is love beyond compare.

That's my Jesus. Do you know Him?

No comments:

Post a Comment